Friday 20 July 2012

Cambodia, The Place, The Legend.

Cambodia was certainly an experience we weren't prepared for!
We were dropped off in an area called Shianoukville, which is a coastal city. The poverty level was very desperate, so I couldn't take many photos while we were in the city, as the moment I took my camera out, eager opportunists started circling our tuk tuk.

We hired a tuk tuk to drive us around for 2 hours. While the $40 AUD we paid was a massive rip off according to local standards, Nick and I took one look around this area and figured it would be disgusting of us to try and pay any less being as lucky as we are to live by western standards.

It was a rainy day, and when the rain came it was heavy and there to stay, but thankfully there were some dry patches in between, so Nick and I did our best to make the most of it.








1. Vendor at the beach - There are vendors selling food all over the place, and the food is very cheap and amazing, but be weary of food poisoning.

2. Public beach - You can pay to hire a beach chair for a few hours, the public beaches are very bright but mostly full of locals as most hotels in the area own their own private beach.

3. Prayer Area - Well at least I think it was, there were incense burning and it was a pretty shot.
This photo was taken at a large resort that we visited.

4. Nick enjoying the resort times.

5. Look out tower at the beach resort.

6. Wild Monkey! We saw these on the side of the road while we were travelling back to the main city. I tried getting as close as I could for a photo, but Nick reminded me they were wild animals. And they are also very aggressive as I found out in Thailand but that's another story.

7. Monk statues at a buddhist temple. There were kids everywhere begging for money and the moment we stepped onto this property we were surrounded by them. Nick and I were carrying very little money on us, and we couldn't give money to one and not all. When we refused to give them money the children began throwing rocks at us and the young boys threatened to hit me if Nick didn't give them money. I unfortunately couldn't take many photos because of the drama, however I managed to get this snap before things turned ugly.

Hayley Jane
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment